Welcome to Elementary Reading!
Cumberland Valley utilizes a balanced approach to literacy instruction. The elements of balanced literacy instruction are:
· Daily Shared Reading experiences during which the teacher provides interactive, explicit lessons addressing reading strategies and skills, literary analysis, non-fiction text features and text structures, literary genres, and critical thinking skills.
· Small-group Guided Reading lessons which differentiate instruction and provide students with the opportunity to apply the principles taught during Shared Reading lessons at their instructional level.
· Hands-On, Minds-On Phonics/Word Study Instruction which utilize manipulatives and engage students in critical thinking based upon patterns and principles of letters and words.
· Independent Reading which allows students to read on their independent level in order to build fluency and comprehension.
· Interactive Teacher Read Alouds during which the teacher instills a love of books and reading as he/she models fluent, expressive reading and shares the strategies he/she uses to interact with text.
· Writer’s Workshop which differentiates instruction by providing explicit mini-lessons on specific topics related to the skills and strategies of good writers and then providing opportunities to apply those skills and strategies to their own writing.
You may find out more about our Good Habits, Great Readers reading program by visiting the link below.
Learn more about this amazing and engaging balanced literacy program!